1. Stop all products that contain aspirin, ibuprofen, Vitamin E and similar products 10 days before the procedure. This will decrease the chance of bruising. Notify Dr. Emdur if you are on a blood thinner such as warfarin, coumadin, and plavix. Tylenol is OK to use.
2. Do not schedule important social activities, meetings, etc., immediately after the procedure. The majority of patients do not have any adverse effects from Botox injections. However, bruising and eyelid droop can occur rarely and you could be that patient.
3. Plan in advance. Do not wait until the last minute to get Botox in preparation for an important event, such as a wedding. We recommend getting Botox 2-4 weeks in advance of any important event.
4. Do your daily workout before your appointment for Botox.
1. Do not exercise until the next morning.
2. Do not rub or irritate the injection sites. This can cause the Botox to seep into your eyelid and cause a droop. Wash your face gently. By the next morning, you can resume normal activity.
3. For the next one hour, contract the muscles that were treated by frowning, raising your eyebrows, smiling, and /or puckering.
4. If you have swelling or bruising on your face, apply cool compresses.
Fillers (Restylane, Juvederm, Radiesse, Collagen, Cosmoplast/Cosmoderm)
1. Stop all products that contain aspirin, ibuprofen, Vitamin E, and similar products 10 days before the procedure. This will decrease the chance of bruising. Notify Dr. Emdur if you are on a blood thinner such as warfarin, coumadin, and plavix. Tylenol is OK to use.
2. Do not schedule important social activities, meetings, etc., for at least three days after the procedure.
3. If you have a history of cold sores, you will need to start an antiviral medication, Valtrex, 24 hours before the procedure. Notify Dr. Emdur or her nurse if you do have a history of cold sores and do not have a prescription for Valtrex.
1. If you received a dental block, your lips will be numb for approximately one hour. Be careful drinking very hot liquids.
2. Apply cool compresses until the next morning to minimize bruising and swelling.
3. Minimize mouth motion (chewing, talking) for 24 hours to allow the product to set into the tissues.
4. Notify Dr. Emdur immediately (day or night) for a cold sore outbreak. Cold sores can lead to scarring.
5. Use Tylenol for pain.
6. If you have lumpiness or asymmetry, you can massage these areas after 72 hours to break down the product. STOP massaging when the lumps and asymmetry are better to avoid breaking down good product.
Call Dr. Emdur's office for:
Moderate to Severe Bruising